Re: [squid-users] proxy as a netfilter??

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 15:45:34 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, ad3 wrote:

> I have several PCs (3 linux & 1 win98) behind my RH7.2 box in my home. I
> would like to be able to filter the web content available to the win98 box
> (ip address 10.0.0.4). is squid the right tool, or should I be using
> something like junkbuster?

Given your particular situation you describe below, a belt, talk, or
just spending more time with the kid will probably be more effective.
Said that, Squid can allow/deny based on a list of URLs.

> my predicament stems from my son's attempts to view questionable
> content from the web. what I would like to do is set up a proxy
> which only forwards requests from an "approved" list of URLs.
> the "approved" list, and the proxy, will be located on my
> workstation, which is the default gateway for all network
> activity.

If you follow this path, make sure you disallow access to any service
that Squid does not proxy. For example, there are many sites and
proxies that use ports other than 80, and you will probably find most
of them "questionable".

Alex.