Re: [squid-users] Redirecting to squid with authenticate

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 02:00:01 +0100

The best method is perhaps to block direct access to port 80, requiring
the user to have their proxy settings configured..

Any attempts to directly access port 80 without using the proxy can
return a custom page telling the user that to access the Internet they
must configure their proxy settings, followed by instructions on how to
configure the browser.

Returning such custom messages is done using the same techniques as
transparent proxying, but instead of redirecting the traffic to a proxy
you redirect the traffic to a small web server giving this response on
all requests (most easily done by using a wildcard redirect on the HTTP
server, redirecting any access to this web server to a specific
instructions page on another server).

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer & CTO