Re: [squid-users] push advertisement

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 19:37:41 -0600

Since no one has spelled out exactly how to do this, I will:

Use Squid to redirect every request to a CGI script running on a local
webserver. Include in the redirect query terms the full URL that was
originally requested.

CGI script creates a frame with your ad at the top of the page...it then
inserts the requested page into the bottom frame. Writing the logic to
frame intelligently, and not frame every object requested or infinitely
(you only want to frame the page on which subsequent related objects
appear--this is probably a difficult thing to figure out on a multi-user
proxy).

Another method...probably easier, but more intrusive. Redirect users on
every ".html" or ".htm" request to a javascript popup ad maker...it pops
up the ad, and then the javascript loads the 'real' site requested in
the default window. If you use the same popup ad window name for every
request and the user keeps that window open, it will simply change the
ad every time they load a new HTML object--it will act a lot like some
of the free ISPs that include additional ads. This is roughly what Joel
was hinting at.

All of this is theoretical, I've never implemented such a thing, but it
is certainly possible. It's just not terribly easy, because none of the
developers of Squid ever thought of this as a useful (or beneficial)
feature. I can only think of two environments where it is really OK: a
free ISP, or an internet cafe. Both cases allow you to insist on ads in
the terms of service. Would be pretty neat for those purposes though.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com