[squid-users] Using squid with two connections to different WANs

From: <Torsten.Lange@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:08:21 +0100

hi peter,

i believe this is a routing problem.
the problem i see, however, is that using a dial-up ppp-connection
might modify the routing table, especially the default route everytime
the dial-up connection status changes.

perhaps you should approach the problem by having another small
squid box connection via dial-up. you could use the cache_peer_access
directives then to delegate the extranet traffic to the second squid.

torsten

Hi Guys,

I have an interesting one for you. Not sure if its possible or not. I need
to run squid for a network that needs to access to two different networks
through the proxy server. One is a extranet of one of our suppliers, and
the other is a standard internet connection. We currently have access to
the suppliers network through a standard ppp dialup connection that acts
just like an internet connection. The server establishes a PPP connection,
assigns IPs and DNS and then your browse through a standard internet
connection to a URL using a stardard domain name (that isn't available via
the internet but is real and registered to the supplier) just as if on a
small internet. Fairly simple. But I need to be able to tell squid (using
access lists or something) to use this interface (say ppp0) for all urls
based on domainx.com and send everything else via the default route (say
eth1 - DSL connection). The clients are on 4 different Networks all
connected via either ISDN or Frame Relay - but this doesn't matter as they
all have access to the squid proxy anyway. Squid works just fine if
configured for either connection alone. So I can use squid for allowing
multiple people to acces just the extranet or just the internet but
haven't succeeded for both.

Wierd hey. Any ideas?? Any questions??

Peter