Re: [squid-users] Using squid with two connections to different WANs

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 06:18:34 -0600

Oh...I did leave off the bit about the domain name lookup.

If the domain name is registered with a real registrar, and they have a
publicly accessible DNS server (on the internet) then you won't need to
do anything--your normal resolution will work. Otherwise, the simplest
option is to add their domain and IP manually to your hosts file, or if
you're feeling more adventurous set up your local DNS server to resolve
names in the private domain by contacting the DNS server that they have
on their local network (across the PPP link).

Your Squid will need to support hosts files for the first solution of
course. Version 2.3 requires use of the external dnsserver to use a
hosts file. I think all of the 2.4 versions have /etc/hosts support in
the internal resolver...(Someone correct me if I'm misremembering?)

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com