Re: [squid-users] Proxying also FTP or not?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:10:10 +0100

On Thursday 10 January 2002 11.54, Boniforti Flavio wrote:

> > A FTP client cannot be used via Squid. Only HTTP clients can use Squid
> > (i.e. web browsers), and only when configured to use Squid as a proxy
> > for FTP.
>
> OK, so I should install a second proxy only for FTP requests, right?

Right.

> Is there a way to concatenate this one with squid, so that squid turns
> FTP requests directly to the FTP proxy? And, btw, do you know some good
> FTP proxy???

Not without implementing support for FTP parents in Squid I think.

However, there often is no need for such chaining as most FTP proxies are
plain proxies with no caching.

The few FTP proxies supporting caching quite often can query Squid to see
if Squid has the object cached.

A search for "ftp proxy" on freshmeat will give you a mostly complete
list. Of the ones I know only FWTK seems to be missing from that list.

> My goal is to lead all Internet traffic through some sort of proxy,
> mostly HTTP (squid) and FTP.

A reasonable goal. Such design is requred if you need to trace your users
activities (not too uncommon in a corporate environment).

If these proxies also have caches then it may help reducing Internet
costs, or at least to provide a better service to the users for the same
cost.. but FTP caching is quite different from HTTP caching.