Re: [squid-users] R: [squid-users] IE 6 performance w/ Squid-2.4.STABLE2 proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:08:41 +0100

It depends on what you refer to by "would also help". If set to "on"
then any cache revalidations done by IE will be uncacheable, no matter
if the user pressed the reload button or just revisited the site while
it is still in his browser cache.

This because when many of the IE versions connect directly to the site
they do not send cache related information to indicate that the user
wanted a fresh copy when he/she uses the reload button, instead the
request looks just like a normal cache revalidation. Perfectly valid
thing to do as the browser for all what it knows is connected to the
authorative source, and sending the cache related headers in such case
only adds overhead to the request.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer