Re: [squid-users] Squid off-line

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:08:36 -0600

Chris Kleinschmidt wrote:

> Is it possible to run 2 copies of squid, one on-line and
> one set to purely off-line browsing, off the same cache.
>
> I realise it is not possible to run 2 on-line copies of
> squid off same cache. Does an off-line squid actually change
> any files in the cache (which would make it impossible
> to do what I suggest)?
>
> I would like to do this to restrict students to ONLY what
> is in the cache. Redirects to the on-line squid copy could
> then be done for content that needs to be active (like
> web-based e-mail). Our ISP provides this sort of access.
>
> On another question, is there a program anywhere that indexes
> what is in the cache, for searching.

If you use the push branch, you could run two separate
caches and periodically update one cache with the contents
of the other.

That might run into the problem that the two populations might
be interested in different things - you might also want to
periodically prepush a (limited?) list of things students
are interested in, or prepush certain sites as well.

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025