[squid-users] Urgent Help with starting Squid

From: Greg Darby <greg.darby@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:06:50 +1030

Hi,

As new to Linux i am still having a bit of trouble with Squid.

If i log on as root Squid works fine. If i log on as Admin (I created this)
Squid will not run at all. In the squid.conf file i have Squid set to look
at "squid" for the id and group, not the default "nobody".

In the Linux shell i have done the following, as per instructions given.

chown -R squid.squid /usr/local/squid
chmod g+s /usr/local/squid /usr/local/squid/src

I had already created the User and Group called "squid" prior to the above.
I have added the group "squid" to the Admin User.

Can anyone help? I am new at Linux and get the impression that it's best not
to run the box at "root" level day to day.

Regards,

Greg

Greg Darby
Systems Administrator
Ramelec (SA) Pty Ltd
2 Ontario Ave Panorama
South Australia 5041
Tel: +61 8 83742100
Fax: +61 8 83742102

This email and any attachment has been checked for the presence of known Virus's by Ramelec's NTMail Virus Scanner.