Re: [squid-users] Urgent Help with starting Squid

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:58:04 -0600

Couple of hints:

There is no need to start Squid manually. Add it to your startup
scripts and forget about it (rc.local, or use initscripts if your system
supports them). Startup scripts as run as the root user.

When Squid starts up, it starts as the user that executed it. Then it
changes itself to run as the user selected in the configuration file.
Generally, only a root started process can become a different user...so
your Admin user doesn't have permission to start a process that turns
into a squid-owned process. This is a security mechanism (what if the
squid user had more or different priviledges or permissions than your
Admin user).

If you must start Squid manually for some reason (and can't su to root
for those administrative tasks), you can also use sudo to grant root
permissions for some specialized taskes.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com