Re: [squid-users] Preferred storage mechanism under Linux

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:35:51 -0500

On Monday 14 January 2002 08:22 pm, Daniel Baldoni wrote:
> G'day folks,
>
> A client has installed RedHat 7.2 on a 256MB, 333MHz Pentium II to act
> as a Squid proxy. Yes, I know the choice of OS and hardware aren't
> optimal but it's what they had laying around.
>
> Anyhow, my question is "which storage technique do people recommend
> under Linux?". On Solaris, I usually go with aufs but I'm unsure as to
> the thread stability of RedHat (never had cause to test it). Is diskd
> a better choice than ufs?

Regarding disks, it was explained to me on this list that the benefits
are only seen with multiple hard disks. And I mean physical disks, not
partiitions.

It is also my understanding that aufs adds a little latency to each
object fetch, but that it allows you to scale up to a higher number of
requests/second. So it's a win with a large number of cache clients, but
a loser (because of the latency) with a smaller client count.