[squid-users] FreeBSD 4.4, Squid 2.4 WCCP

From: Arthur W. Neilson III <art@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:38:29 -1000

Anyone have the skinny on how to configure FreeBSD 4.4-stable and Squid 2.4_7 (stable3)
from the ports collection for WCCP with a Cisco router IOS 12.1 ???

If found these instructions in the Squid FAQ off squid-cache.org

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html#ss17.11

The url above references a patch which hits netinet/in_proto.c and
netinet/in_vars.c and a module gre.c to implement the GRE protocol
in the kernel ip stack. Looks like the kernel must be rebuilt with
option GRE and also IPFIREWALL and IPFORWARD.

Has anyone gone thru this excersize and have WCCP working with Squid 2.4 ?
Does the patch work fine and are there additional configuration steps I need
to take to get it to work?

The FAQ mentions that I need to configure Squid for transparent proxying.

        ipfw add 50 fwd 127.0.0.1,3128 tcp from any to any 80

and the squid.conf lines are:
        http_port 3128
        httpd_accel_host virtual
        httpd_accel_port 80
        httpd_accel_with_proxy on
        httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

This confuses me, currently we are running squid as a cache, not an accelerator.
Do we have to run Squid as an accelerator in order to use WCCP? Is the
transparent proxying required to get WCCP to work?

--
    __
   /  )    _/_  It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data.