[squid-users] Choosing an authentication scheme

From: Eric Engen <eengen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:17:38 -0600

I've been running 2.3 STABLE 5 for over a year without any problems. I want
to add user authentication, and while I'm at it, upgrade to 2.4. I'm in the
testing phase now, but I have some questions.

These are probably a really basic questions, but here they are anyway:

How do you decide which authentication scheme to use? From reading the list,
I see that many people are using LDAP, but I haven't been able to figure out
what exactly is LDAP? How do I know if I have the option to use LDAP?

Since our users all log in to our NT4 server, I was thinking that MSNT would
be the best for me to try.

But then again, I also have Samba installed (although it is not working
quite right just yet). Would SMB be better?

One more question: Our NT network serves about 60 users. I'm pretty sure
that the NT machine is my PDC. How do I find whether or not we have a BDC,
and what it is? When I am setting up the auth helper config files, it asks
for the PCD and BDC--does it want the IP address, or a name that shows up in
the lmhosts file?

I have been a subscriber to this list for over a year, and I appreciate all
the useful advice offered. Thanks, everyone.

Eric Engen
Platte Valley Academy
Shelton, Nebraska
http://www.plattevalley.org