[squid-users] Squid?

From: Peter Smith <peter.smith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:33:50 -0600

Mitesh: I've been running a set of Squids for the past few months and
just now saw your emails on 100% Squid processor usage. I experienced
the same problem and fixed it the same way, independent of your email
(unfortunately.) Yesterday I compiled my own 2.4.17 kernel and have a
box on it currently with 2G RAM (and no caching.) Hopefully it will
last through the week. If so, then that is going to be my new platform
(instead of the tried-and-true 2.2.19 .) I am wondering whether your
system(s) were using any raid hardware. My systems utilise the aacraid
driver, and I believe that the problems I was experiencing were related
to this. Also, I am curious to see if you have noticed that Squid
generally lives on only one processor.

Also, the problem may be in attempting to service 100+ req/minute on a
buggy raid-hardware driver (in 2.4) with too few disks (in my case I had
3 18G drives for cache) and since I'd turned caching completely off I
may not see the problem again until I switch caching back on.

Thanks for your time,

Peter Smith
Linux Systems Administrator
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
(USA) 214 648 3111
peter.smith@utsouthwestern.edu