Re: [squid-users] eating cpu

From: Kancha . <kancha2np@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 01:05:38 -0800 (PST)

I'm using a Dell PowerEdge 2300 without RAID. I'm
using a SCSI HDD.

One of the reasons squid is consuming cpu is due to
nimda and codered. I've seen lots nimda and codered
requests in the log file.

So i put ACL to block the worms

acl nimda1 url_regex -i defaul.ida
and similar lines for root.exe and cmd.exe then
http_access deny nimda1 and similarly for the other
two acls

Despite this the requests aren't blocked. Whenever
there is work attack the cpu utilization just grows
rapidly.

If i could only block these worms i guess cpu
utilization would drop.

Currently I'm using ipchains to redirect port 80 to
3128 only for request coming from my network. My
clients are infected with these worms. I can't have
all my clients to clean nimda as it is impossible to
keep track of every client.

I've seen lots of people even in this list mention the
use of iptables, so i gues i'll switch to iptables as
well.

What should be the value of cache_mem for a server
with 256M RAM. Currently I'm using 8M. I was using 16M
previously.