[squid-users] RE: transparent proxy with transparent gateway (hrm)

From: Reischl, Brian <breisch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:57:28 -0600

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding what you're trying to do here, but it
seems to me you could set up a Linux box as a transparent proxy/router. Have
it configured to proxy all port 80 and forward everything else to the
gateway. Then move your gw to a IP new address, and have the proxy/fw take
over the gateway's old IP address. Thus clients keep sending everything to
the same IP thinking it's the gateway. Only now your proxy is sitting at
that IP, proxying HTTP and silently forwarding everything else to the real
gateway. All the ethernet level stuff should sort itself out after
everyone's ARP cache expires in 5 or 10 minutes, and the clients should
never know the difference. Or am I missing something here?