Re: [squid-users] Harddisk suspend

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:53:32 +0100

Squid is periodically scanning the cache directories to perform
garbage collection. This scanning runs in the background and is timed
such that a full scan of the cache takes about 24 hours.

This garbage collection cannot be disabled without changing the code.
Look for eventAdd("storeDirClean"... in the sources
(src/fs/*/store_dir*.c). It should be safe to turn this off if you
are annoyed by it. (to turn off, simply delete the eventAdd() line)

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer

On Thursday 14 February 2002 22.35, Andre Alexander Bell wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've searched the web, FAQ, Documentation of squid and thsi
> mailinglist, but I haven't found a way to solve my problem.
> My Router is running Debian/testing and I do use squid as proxy. I
> don't turn of the computer, but I want to make it as silent as
> possible, so I've used hdparm to suspend my IDE Harddisk after 5
> minutes of inactivity. After installing squid my computer is
> accessing the harddisk every 15 seconds while no one is using
> squid.
> If I stop squid harddisk access stops too...
> Why is squid periodically accessing the harddisk? How can I stop
> squid to do this? Can anyone give me a hint how to solve this?
>
> ciao
>
> Andre

available on request