Re: [squid-users] Annoying Problems with Squid 2.4 STABLE3

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:36:44 +0100

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 06:50, richard.fuser@ernstyoung.com.au
wrote:

> First problem is we use ident to get a username off the 2000
> workstations which compares to a list of users whom have internet
> rights and then access is granted the second option is a prompt for
> a password which queries a NDS tree via LDAP the problem is for
> example I may come in the morning browse for a hour or so then
> maybe I will be in the middle of a page loading and a password
> prompt will pop up, I do not have to enter anything in here I can
> simply click ok with both fields blank.and I can continue on
> browsing, we use re-director on these boxes which simply changes
> ads, etc to a company logo.

Are you using ident as primary method and proxy_auth as the secondary
method of getting the user name?

If so, then most likely the ident lookup failed for that request.
ident lookups is performed once per TCP connection.

> Second problem is every now and then when I load a page and this is
> happening accross our firm we will get something looking like the
> following Ë/Ü Ê and this changes but usally in the same fashion, if
> refresh is pressed the page will load correctly..

Odd..

> By the way our firm standard browser is Internet Explorer most PC'S
> running 5.00.3103.1000 SP1 or 5.50.4807.2300 SP2 this problem has
> never occured with Netscape but unfortuanatly our firm uses IE
> globally!! dammit!

Has anyone else seem similar issues? Anyone not using IE?

Regards
Henrik Nordström

available on request