[squid-users] Re: Open & abused proxy list(s); appeal for instructions on how to close problems

From: Allen Smith <easmith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:04:56 -0500

BTW, RFG, the squid-users list doesn't allow nonmembers to post, IIRC, so
I'm sending this on to it.

On Feb 20, 12:57pm, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> In message <10202201217.ZM27359@beatrice.rutgers.edu>, you wrote:
>
> >Hi. As per the below, there is a blacklist in usage,
> >proxies.relays.monkeys.com (see
> >http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/proxies.html), of proxies
> >which are not properly secured and are thus capable of being used by
> >spammers for spamming. Mail from said hosts is going to bounce if the
> >recipient is using this list (or the related one of
> >http.opm.blitzed.org/opm.blitzed.org - see http://www.blitzed.org/opm/).
>
> Clarification:
>
> There is NO RELATIONSHIP WHATSOEVER between the proxies.relays.monkeys.com
> list of unsecured spammer-friendly proxies and the various blitzed.org
> lists. I administer the former, and some other bloke administers the
> latter. We are different people, and we each administer our respective
> lists via different sets of policies.

You are correct that my comment of "related" may be confusing (sorry) - they
are related in that they're for the same purpose, not because of any
relationship between the adminstration of the two lists.

> Information tidbit:
>
> My stats indicate that Squid is far and away the most frequently spammer-
> abused type of HTTP proxy.

Ah. I just got an email from someone claiming that Squid could not be abused
to send spam; you'll be getting a copy of my response.

        -Allen

--
Allen Smith			http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
September 11, 2001		A Day That Shall Live In Infamy II