Re: [squid-users] Traffic to single parent only

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 02:29:16 +0100

Squid do not normally try to figure out RTT times to origin servers.

Maybe you have compiled your Squid with --enable-icmp? This enables
some additional network probes. Not normally recommendable to use
unless you have a good reason.

To have Squid mostly use the parent while it is alive, set
"prefer_direct off" and make the parent "default".

Henrik Nordström

On Thursday 21 February 2002 22:42, Piet Knoester wrote:

> I considered that but I think that in case of a down status of the
> parent, there will no www-traffic at all. I think that is tricky
> 'cause I am not allways in the office to solve the problem
> manually.
> What I want squid to do is: use the parent only, without determing
> the RTT . But in case of a not response of the parent (after some
> time), go and ask the origen http-server, thus direct.
> What I understand of "never_direct" is that will, indeed, never ask
> the origen server direct for the pages.

available on request