Re: [squid-users] Squid and DNS on 127.0.0.1

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 02:16:44 +0100

Recommendation: Do not set *_outgoing_address unless you really need
to. It will work fine if not set. The address used for outgoing
traffic is usually best selected automatically by routing.

If you need to control which address to use for UDP then it is
generally recommendable to do so by setting the udp_incoming_address
directive. The "outgoing" address automatically inherits the
"incoming" unless overridded, and if different it won't work anyway..

To answer the second part of your message: HTTP is only using TCP, so
setting the udp_*_address directives won't affect HTTP, only the UDP
based protocols such as DNS, ICP and HTCP.

Regards
Henrik Nordström

On Thursday 21 February 2002 16:16, Joan Bertran wrote:
> I have a DNS running on the same machine as Squid so
> tried to use this DNS, but no way to reach the DNS as
> i listens only on internal networks. From cache.log
> i see the filedescriptor where the squiddns is running
> and from proc and netstat it is at udp protocol on the
> same interface as the parameter udp_outgoing_address.
> So i changed udp_outgoing_address to 127.0.0.1 and
> now works.
> The question is will i have any trouble as for
> example Squid trying to access an http server throug udp,
> or this parameter is only used for ICP ...
>
> Thanks

available on request