Re: [squid-users] Parent Proxy Problem

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:08:26 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Quintin Giesbrecht wrote:

> I am running squid on a RH6.2 box, and connecting to an ICP parent proxy
> (N2H2 filter system - also running squid).
>
> If I run squid on a box doubling as a gateway, so I have a private nic,
> and a public nic, and I hit it from a private workstation, the parent
> proxy denies me access...
>
> Looking through the logs, I can see the PRIVATE ip address of my
> workstation being sent to the N2H2 box, which is not in it's list of
> acceptable child proxys, and rejects it.
>
> If I add to 10.0.0.0 class of ips to N2H2s list of accepted ips, it
> works fine....

Squid is a proxy and so there are always two connections in a "working"
configuration:

a) browser to squid
b) squid to server (or parent proxy)

If the parent proxy is not seeing the squid address, then your private
browser is not seeing the private squid. The one "important" piece of
information is that the squid box is a gateway. From what you have said,
the browser isn't configured to use the private squid and the private
squid is just routing the packets to its parent.

Colin