[squid-users] Re: squid error messages through transparent?

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:25:02 +0100

It is IE who substitutes the error message presented by Squid with
what it thinks is better for the user to see.

See Internet Options -> Advanced. There is an option called "Show
friendly HTTP errors", default to on..

You should be able to hint to IE that the error message is good for
the user by extending it to be at least 10KB in size (I think the
threshold is 10KB, experiment a little if it does not work).

<!-- THIS JUNK CONVINCES IE THAT THIS ERROR PAGE IS GOOD
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[repeat the XXX line something like 200 times..]
THIS JUNK CONVINCES IE THAT THIS ERROR PAGE IS GOOD -->

The XXXXXX will get compressed for modem users to barely nothing
while in transit..

Seems to work here.

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 06:26, ryana@flashmail.com wrote:
> Is there anyway to configure squid for using it's error messages
> when a user hits a bad url instead of using the IE error message?
> For some reason, through transparent proxying the squid url error
> messages don't pop up like they would in a regular proxy config.
> How can I change this to use squid's? Thanks
>
> Ryan Allik
> ryana@flashmail.com

available on request