Re: [squid-users] InterScan and Squid

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:25:29 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Kondrashin" <mkondrashin@apl.ru>
To: "Jerry Murdock" <jmurdock@itraktech.com>; "Akshay Chauhan"
<akshay.chauhan@fndc.govt.nz>; <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] InterScan and Squid

>> I use Client -> Squid ->Interscan -> Internet. Works well.
>>
>> If you need to "hide" the interscan, do Client -> Squid -> Interscan ->
>> non-caching Squid.
>
> This configuration is not officially recommended, but it should work.
> If you use InterScan on Linux it can act as non-caching proxy by itself.

But Interscan doesn't know how to participate in a squid hierarchy, knowing
only one "parent" proxy. The "outside" squid helps this.

>> There may be some performance benefits to the latter as well if it's a big
>> pipe. I feel squid is more efficient at pulling the data down - strictly
>> subjective though, I have done no real tests.
> I'm not sure with that.

Neither am I. Haven't set one up this way just for performance reasons. Only
reporting what it "feels" like.

> Another solution is to use proxy authentication. Auth. requests pass through
InterScan and user names are logged in squid log.

But you lose address based logging and acls, and it doesn't work with
transparent redirection.

Jerry