Re: [squid-users] Multiple proxies on the same box.

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:43:58 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Preston Wade wrote:

> Thanks much for the reply.
>
> So now I am wondering if I should create a parent proxy that is not
> queried by users but queried by the other proxies that the users
> query. Does this make sense? I want to have 4 proxies that users
> hit. Actually I may need to have 4 different caches because the 4
> proxies provide 4 levels of access, but the access is controlled by
> another box, based on the source address that the proxy is providing. I
> have them all use the same cache then there is a potential that someone
> could get to something that has been cache by a proxy with more access.
> Maybe I should use the ACL's. Is there a frontend out there that will
> allow the management of the ACL's to be done by someone that is not that
> farmiliar with editing files in the Unix world.

I can't suggest anything that wouldn't require some editing of files. I
suggest you bite the bullet and learn to use an editor. You probably
really only need one squid and to make use fo ACLs. They are access
control lists. That's what they are designed for. That's what they do.
They do it very well.

Colin