Re: [squid-users] mod_gzip for squid ?

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:41:29 -0500

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 03:00 pm, Christian Bjerre wrote:
> B> This is quite reasonable from both a design and technical
> B> standpoint.
> B> Generally tier 2 should handle application logic and tier 1
> B> should handle transmission logic.
> B> Also, it's usually easier to add tier 1 servers, so
> B> you should push as much as possible onto them.
>
> Have anybody else implemented this ?
> - or are there a howto on the subject, which benchmarks the varios
> solutions and gives pros and cons.

A 3-tier design (transmission, application, storage) is quite common for
large-scale networks. I don't know of a how-to on it, specifically.

We have 4 squid servers running the front line with a parent cache for
static files in tier 1. We have a pair of apache servers as tier 2, and
separate file and SQL servers in tier 3.

Of the 20Mbit typically going out the front, about 2.5 actually comes off
tier 2. Pretty much all html and php.

> Right now I'm having apache running on port 81, but looking into running
> apache on port 80 as normal but bind it to localhost 127.0.0.1, but
> still not the solution I'm after.

Your last message said squid was on a separate box. Or was that a future
goal?

> I would like to have a setup where I can "unplug" the squid cache
> without getting downtime.
> - had something in mind where squid had top priority on port 80 and
> leaving apache run on the same port
> * guess it's nonsence, but would be nice though.

I'm not really sure you want that. At one time, we had the 4 front
servers fail over to the apaches if the static cache went down. I
rebooted the static cache and apache was instantly SYN flooded.

Even so, squid has been one of the most reliable parts in the network, so
it hasn't really been an issue.

> B> Robert Collins was working on the proxy counterpart of this (Transfer
> B> Encoding), but I haven't seen anything from it in months.
> B> Maybe we could wave a little green under his nose.
> B> Squid is primarily a proxy, with some rev-proxy function built in,
> B> so I don't see Content Encoding happening for quite awhile.
>
> Are there any other solutions ? - anyone ..
> - dosen't have to be with squid

Some of the commercial httpd-accelerators support compression. I haven't
researched it much because all of the ones I saw were cost-prohibitive.

        -- Brian