RE: [squid-users] mod_gzip for squid ?

From: Christian Bjerre <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:46:04 +0100

B> A 3-tier design (transmission, application, storage) is quite
B> common for large-scale networks. I don't know of a how-to on it,
specifically.

B> We have 4 squid servers running the front line with a parent
B> cache for static files in tier 1. We have a pair of apache servers
as
B> tier 2, and separate file and SQL servers in tier 3.
B> Of the 20Mbit typically going out the front, about 2.5
B> actually comes off tier 2. Pretty much all html and php.

Weheey, that's exactly the kind setup, I want to implement here!

Do you have a squid configfile and can have a look at - really
interested in how you defined which objects must not be cached and large
incomming posts (running a loaded photo site)

How do You gather logging information ?
Shared filesystem with both apoache and squid logs in one ?
* that's my only problem left, since the big jerk I am constructed a
custom apache log and made a c program to parse, which means tons of
work, to change it back to standard apache log :( *

// chris

CB>> Right now I'm having apache running on port 81, but looking into
CB>> running apache on port 80 as normal but bind it to localhost
CB>> 127.0.0.1, but still not the solution I'm after.

B> Your last message said squid was on a separate box. Or was
B> that a future goal?

Just for for my test setup at home ( serves my girlfriends webpage -
needs 110% uptime ;) )
* think I'll just move her stuff to the big server.
- the real one has an internal ip address and therefor no problem.

CB>> Are there any other solutions ? - anyone ..
CB>> - dosen't have to be with squid

B> Some of the commercial httpd-accelerators support
B> compression. I haven't researched it much because all of the
B> ones I saw were cost-prohibitive.

Guees, we should send Robert Collins some pizzas ;)