Re: [squid-users] squid logging to syslogd

From: Deb <deb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:50:00 -0800 (PST)

At Colin's suggestion, I configured syslog.conf like so:

local4.emerg /var/log/squidlog
local4.alert /var/log/squidlog
local4.crit /var/log/squidlog
local4.err /var/log/squidlog
local4.info /var/log/squidlog
local4.notice /var/log/squidlog

Pretty much tried to catch whatever I could, since I don't
what priority or priorities local4 is configured to report.

By way of example, I also have other (working!) local
configurations, such as:

local1.info /var/log/comlog
local6.info /var/log/gatzlog
local6.notice /dev/stemlog

Okay, so I restarted syslogd, then shutdown and started squid
with the -s option.

 10709 ? S 0:00 /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -s
 10711 ? S 0:05 (squid) -s

BTW, this is squid STABLE2 (I need to upgrade to STABLE4 soon...).

I'm getting Nothing in the /var/log/squidlog, but I am getting
everything sent to the default logging,

/usr/local/squid/logs/{cache.log,access.log,store.log}

Any idea how to get this switched off and over to using syslog?

Ultimately, I'd like to send all the logging info to a loghost...

deb

Meanwhile, Colin Campbell says:

| Hi,
|
| On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Deb wrote:
|
| > There doesn't seem to be much documentation on squid's ability (or inability)
| > to log to the syslog daemon. I have a long-standing squid proxy server, and
| > I wanted to use the -s option to "enable logging to the syslog." According to
| > FAQ-6.html (6.2 cache.log), if you start squid with the -s option, "a copy
| > of certain messages will go into your syslog facilities."
| >
| > Well, nothing seems to be going to my syslog. I at least expected whatever
| > goes to the cache.log should be going to syslog, cache.log is still being
| > used, as well as all other logs.
| >
| > Ideally, we'd like to point ALL the squid logging to a central log server.
| > Is there any way to do that, short of copying logs over to that server?
|
| have you configured syslog to accept squid's messages? As far as I can
| see, it uses LOCAL4.
|
| Colin

"If it dies, it's biology. If it blows up, it's chemistry,
and if it doesn't work, it's physics."
                                        -- University bathroom graffito
τΏτ
 ~