Re: [squid-users] squid logging to syslogd

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:02:23 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Deb wrote:

> At Colin's suggestion, I configured syslog.conf like so:
>
> local4.emerg /var/log/squidlog
> local4.alert /var/log/squidlog
> local4.crit /var/log/squidlog
> local4.err /var/log/squidlog
> local4.info /var/log/squidlog
> local4.notice /var/log/squidlog

You don't need to do this. Syslog logs everything at the named level and
above. So, "local4.notice" would have been sufficient.

> Okay, so I restarted syslogd, then shutdown and started squid
> with the -s option.
>
> 10709 ? S 0:00 /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -s
> 10711 ? S 0:05 (squid) -s
>
> BTW, this is squid STABLE2 (I need to upgrade to STABLE4 soon...).
>
> I'm getting Nothing in the /var/log/squidlog, but I am getting
> everything sent to the default logging,

Did you create /var/log/squidlog? Syslog normally won't create a
non-existent file. The method I use to add a new log file is:

- edit syslog.conf
# touch /var/log/squidlog
# kill -HUP `cat /etc/syslog.pid` (or wherever the pid file lives)

Colin