Re: [squid-users] mod_gzip for squid ?

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:50:36 -0500

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 06:25 pm, Christian Bjerre wrote:
> > # Don't forward zips if the zipcache is down
> > cache_peer_access xx.xx.xx.50 allow images
> > cache_peer_access xx.xx.xx.50 allow zips
> > cache_peer_access xx.xx.xx.12 deny zips
> > cache_peer_access xx.xx.xx.12 allow all
> > cache_peer_access xx.xx.xx.11 deny zips
> > cache_peer_access xx.xx.xx.11 allow all
>
> Why not same content on all machines > failsafe ?
> - guees those zips are huge or plenty of 'em

.50 is a squid server (which, incidentally, forwards to .12 and .11).
Zips can tie up an apache child for a long time. Better still, those
download managers that open some 20 connections at once can tie up many
children for a long time. Squid handles that much better.

We plan to upgrade to beefier front line servers (they're Celeron/366s
with 8GB drives right now) that can actually cache the large files we need
the zipcache for now.

> > # Don't go direct, but httpd_accel is needed to accept
> > requests never_direct allow all prefer_direct off
> > httpd_accel_host xx.xx.xx.12 httpd_accel_port 80
>
> Yep, just what I'm doing.
> - how come .12 ? You both have an cache .12 and web .12 ?
> * different scope ?

No reason. Squid will never actually reach the httpd_accel server. It's
just there to put squid in httpd-accel mode.

> > httpd_accel_single_host on httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
>
> What ?! Guess I'll need some virtual stuff here instead since I have
> several domains ?

Again, I'm not sure how much it matters, since squid will never handle
requests through this path.

> > # Cap uploads at 3MB and turn the client_db off.
> > request_body_max_size 3 MB forwarded_for on
> > store_avg_object_size 32 KB client_db off
>
> Does this mean that if the posted file is larger than 3mb it is sent
> directly to the webserver and not stored?
> - why would squid be interested in storing incomming trafic ?
>
> I need to post something like 40-80mb - can I just use the above and I
> would go trough the proxy and end at apache ?

This means squid will return an error if you upload more than 3MB. Squid
does not cache POST requests. You may want to set this to 0kb (unlimited).

> How do You determine the amount of users - right now I'm using
> cookietracking and writing the session variable into the logfile, which
> makes it custom :(
> - can squid do the same ?

You can probably hack the squid log to include cookies (or you can log all
headers, but that gets really big) if you need to track who accesses which
images. We don't have any need for that, so we don't track users on
static files.

        -- Brian