RE: [squid-users] Real Player problem through Squid Proxy

From: Boosten, Peter <Peter.Boosten@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 07:27:00 +0100

# # I am having problem in accessing few video clips through real
# # player 8.0. I
# # have configured Squid proxy and I am getting network error in
# # Real player if
# # I attempt to connect to the sites. Even I have tried giving
# # the http proxy
# # in the Real player preference but that didn't help me.
# #
#

There might actually be a way: You might create an ACL which allows certain
agents (like Real Player) to pass without authentication. I don't know what
the agent is for Real Player (like "Mozilla..." for IE, "NSPlayer..." for
Windows Media Player), but you can extract that info from your access.log
(when logging in squid-format).

This, however could be dangerous, as it's not very hard to change the
agent-type for other apps as well, so users could circumvent your
authentication.

Peter

Disclaimer
1. This e-mail is for the intended recipient only. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system;
access, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone
else is prohibited.

2. If you as intended recipient have received this e-mail incorrectly,
please notify the sender (via e-mail) immediately. This e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. DSM does not guarantee that the
information sent and/or received by or with this e-mail is correct and does
not accept any liability for damages related thereto.