Re: [squid-users] Squid terminates -- Nimda virus

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:24:50 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Rafael Fajardo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I could block the Nimda virus? SQUID terminates
> abnormally after some time whenever a pc infected with nimda uses the
> proxy server. I've tried implementing an ACL ban list on the said URL
> worm.com but of no avail. (GET http://www.worm.com/default.ida?
> HTTP/0.0" 411 1584 NONE:NONE). Hoping for your answers. Thanks and
> more power.

For squid to block it, it must accept the requests and decide whether it
matches your acl. That takes processing power and when a pc goes ballistic
it can hurt squid. Your option. IMHO, is to block the IP of the offending
PC until they clean it. Do it at a router or install packet filters on the
squid box. Just don't let the PC have any access until the owner gets
their act together. Afterall, they are affecting evryone who uses the
squid. If they're not prepared to play the game and share, they should not
be allowed to play. Red card! Gone!

Colin