[squid-users] Squid + FreeBSD and datasize segment limit

From: Francis Vidal <francisv@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:24:42 +0800

Hi,

We're running Squid 2.4-STABLE4 on FreeBSD-STABLE systems and we're
nearing the kernel-default 512MB datasize segment limit. We've already
bumped it to 768MB by re-compiling the kernel and setting
MAXDSIZ=(768UL*1024*1024). I've included the specs below.

Squid seems to just gobble up whatever memory is available and restarts
when there's no more memory but it does that over and over again. Is
there a graceful way of making Squid stay up and running even if it
reaches the datasize segment limit? One thing we noticed is that when
this happens, Squid disconnects itself from the WCCP group and does not
rejoin after a restart (when datasize segment is reached).

--[ machine

Memory: 1.5GB
cache_dir total: 96GB (spread over 3 HDDs)
cache_mem setting: 128MB

---
Francis A. Vidal
Bitstop Network Services, Inc.