Re: [squid-users] passwords in master.passwd

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:27:42 +0000

15-Mar-02 at 14:56, Rafael Corujedo (corujedo@fishnavy.inf.cu) wrote :
> I want copy some users from a a Unix Server (free BSD) to Windows 2000.
>
> When I edit /etc/master.passwd (vi master.passwd)
> I get all the the information about these users but the password is
> encrypted and windows does not accept it.
>
> Can any one help me in de-encription of those passwd...
> to make more easier the copy of those clients to windows 2000.

Off topic reply (what the heck has this got to do with Squid?)

The idea of Linux shadow passwords and other password encryption schemes is
that they are not breakable without brute force. Windows 2000 uses a separate
encryption scheme. Copy pasting will not work anyway, because the plain text
pasted will simply be reencrypted to something else.

You can force users to change their password as soon as they log on anyway, I
would recommend you do that.

--
John Lennon:--v [Simon White. vim/mutt/Linux. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS: 43.15%]
Sometimes we sit and read other people's interpretations of our lyrics