Re: [squid-users] Re: Problems with starting squid after reboot

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:52:53 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Sessler, Enrico wrote:

> Once again: although it is configured in ../rc.d/
> squid is not running after a reboot.
>
> When I try to start it on the command line it
> terminates with the error message "... already running"
> and gives me the PID of "getty".
>
> After I kill this process it is possible again
> to start squid.

What's in squid.pid? It's in the logs/ directory. I suspect it's an old
file left around from an ungraceful exit. Squid sees the file, checks for
a process with that pid and assumes it's squid. Since it thinks a squid
process is already running it won't start a new one.

Since you've killed the getty, squid will happily start and has probably
overwritten the pid file.

You could remove the pid file in the startup script.

Colin