Re: [squid-users] Tr : Re: Loadbalancing multiple SQUID parents using a parent persistence selection per client connection

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:01:23 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Alexandre CASSEN wrote:

> >Do I understand if I say that every SP can connect to each of the three
> PP?
>
> Yes they can but SP must be sticked to a PP during a specific client
> session (during the browse over a website).

Why? There is no such thing as a "session" in a staeless protocol like
HTTP.

To make one squid prefer one parent you can specify all PARENTs as
"parents" and give them weights to mark preferences (see squid.conf). I am
not sure how squid will react if its "favourite" parent dies. I guess the
"connect_timeout" might be useful.

Colin