[squid-users] Re: Loadbalancing multiple SQUID parents using a parent persistence selection per client connection

From: Alexandre CASSEN <alexandre.cassen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:59:25 +0100

Hi Colin,

>> >Do I understand if I say that every SP can connect to each of the three
>> PP?
>>
>> Yes they can but SP must be sticked to a PP during a specific client
>> session (during the browse over a website).
>
>Why? There is no such thing as a "session" in a staeless protocol like
>HTTP.
>
>To make one squid prefer one parent you can specify all PARENTs as
>"parents" and give them weights to mark preferences (see squid.conf). I am
>not sure how squid will react if its "favourite" parent dies. I guess the
>"connect_timeout" might be useful.

Agreed, but what about HTTP or SSL servers using applications servers
maintening application sessions per clients. If the client IP address
exposed to the Internet changes (due to squid balancing) during its
browsing, the remote application will lost the context session. IP address
is most of the time an active part of the inside application server
session_ID generation :/ (we have experimented this with websphere...).

The setup exposed to the SQUID ML can prevent against that kind of noisy
issues being sticked to a specific PP.

We have not found any issues on this in the FAQ/DOC/ML, this is why we are
looking for advices.

Best regards,
Alexandre