[squid-users] transparent caching on solaris 8

From: Wyman Eric Miles <wymanm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:03:48 -0600 (CST)

So, I've finally gotten 2.4STABLE4 to compile with
--enable-ipf-transparent, after some serious mailing list mining.

My two NAT rules are:

rdr iprb0 0.0.0.0/0 port 80 -> {ME} port 3128 tcp
rdr iprb0 0.0.0.0/0 port 8080 -> {ME} port 3128 tcp

This configuration has been working for about two years now, through
various squid versions.

Originally, transparent clients attempting to reach URLs of the form:

        http://www.remote.host:8080

couldn't. It appears squid tried to reach remote.host:80 and was unable.
So, I bit the bullet and got the ipf transparency to work, left the
existing squid configuration alone, with no success.

If I understand the code correctly, squid should find the client in the
NAT state table, divine that it's trying to reach IP:8080, and proxy the
request accordingly, correct? What am I missing?

Wyman Miles
Manager of Infrastructure, Rice University, Texas.
(713) 348-5827, e-mail:wymanm@rice.edu, pager:wymanm@pager.rice.edu