Re: [squid-users] squid question

From: Jon Ottar Runde <jorunde@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 Mar 2002 20:49:02 +0100

On to , 2002-03-21 at 20:35, Mike Hunziker wrote:
> Jon, can squid use an /etc/hosts file instead of dns for it's resolution? Right now the squid server has NO dns and it's definately letting the client do the resolution. Perhaps I have it misconfigured and it's acting like a transparent proxy. Can I force it to use /etc/hosts?

Quick search in the archives, -found this:

Squid-2.2 uses your OS gethostbyname() call, which in most
configurations reads /etc/hosts before DNS, but can usually be
controlled via /etc/nsswitch.conf or a similar file.

Squid-2.3 defaults to use an internal DNS client implementation, talking
directly to your DNS server.

Squid-2.4 too defaults to using an internal DNS client, but reads
/etc/hosts on startup (I think, or maybe this is only in Squid-2.5?).

If you prefer the old Squid-2.2 method for DNS lookups then Squid-2.3+
can be "downgraded" to the old mechanism by building it with
--disable-internal-dns.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker in need of paid Squid projects