Re: [squid-users] squid question

From: Mike Hunziker <Mike.Hunziker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:35:06 -0600

Jon, can squid use an /etc/hosts file instead of dns for it's resolution? Right now the squid server has NO dns and it's definately letting the client do the resolution. Perhaps I have it misconfigured and it's acting like a transparent proxy. Can I force it to use /etc/hosts?

>>> Jon Ottar Runde <jorunde@broadpark.no> 03/21/02 01:13PM >>>
>The proxy does the dns-lookup. (unless with transparent proxy, ->then the
>client does that)
>You might:
>-set up your own separate dns-server (on the proxy, or on >something
>else), and point the squid to that dns-server (in squid.conf)
>or, -if this is just for a few addresses, -create a small perl-script to
>do redirecting, -and set up your squid to use that (see the >faq/docs on
>redirect-programs).
>Jon O

                        Please Note
The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged
and confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message,
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this
E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error,
please notify the sender. Thank you