Re: [squid-users] squid question

From: Jon Ottar Runde <jorunde@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 Mar 2002 20:13:40 +0100

On to , 2002-03-21 at 16:47, Mike Hunziker wrote:
> Sorry, not a very helpful subject line but I couldn't think of a better one. I've searched the faqs and archives but haven't found my answer. Perhaps squid is not suited for my task here.....the real config and reasons for needing this are complex but here is what I'm hoping to do in a generic and simple example.
>
> Normally dns resolves www.foo.com to 10.0.0.1.
>
> I want to be able to have users point their browser to
> a squid proxy I set up and have it send www.foo.com to 10.0.0.2
>
> I do not want to change dns or have the user mess with their local host file. Can this be done easily in squid? Squid is so feature rich I'm having a hard time finding even the correct area of the docs/faq to get to the relevent section. Changing the /etc/hosts file
> on the squid box (solaris 2.7) and disabling it's dns lookup didn't seem to help at all. It seemed the client was doing all the name resolving, not squid. Any help would be appreciated.

The proxy does the dns-lookup. (unless with transparent proxy, -then the
client does that)
You might:
-set up your own separate dns-server (on the proxy, or on something
else), and point the squid to that dns-server (in squid.conf)
or, -if this is just for a few addresses, -create a small perl-script to
do redirecting, -and set up your squid to use that (see the faq/docs on
redirect-programs).

Jon O