Re: [squid-users] Cerberian.com

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:07:05 +0000

> hoatsonr@mwhse.com wrote:
> >Anyone have any experiences with cerberian.com? They are basically an
> >outsourced websense solution and they recommend Linux/Squid as the on-site
> >component. They also reference swelltech.com in some of their
> >documentation.
> >
> >We are looking to implement a caching/squid solution, but websense doesn't
> >support squid in any manner. Our websense license expires in a few months
> >and these guys seem to be offering a solution I'd be comfortable with.

Hi,

I had some problems with WebSense, they certainly don't want to support Squid,
although for what it's worth I was promised by their EMEA sales guy Phillipe
Birot that they would be supporting Squid, then it was cancelled in a board
meeting (clearly no money to be made partnering with an open source product,
they want to force you to buy a partner product).

So... I eventually went with Surf Control, who do a proxy-standalone which
runs with Linux and Solaris, and allows you to chain with ANY proxy since
their solution is a proxy itself, thus it's simple to make it a parent to your
Squid. In fact, their solution is a caching proxy itself, but nowhere near as
configurable as Squid.

FWIW, HTH

Simon.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt/Linux. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS: 50.27%] v-- John Lennon
Sometimes we sit and read other people's interpretations of our lyrics