Re: [squid-users] Cerberian.com

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:34:08 -0600

Yes, we've been talking with them about providing their system on our
boxes as an option. We've also got the beta version of the software
running here for testing.

It is a very effective blocking system (not perfect, but perfection in
this area is impossible). They are definitely willing to work with
Squid users, and they developed a nice and easy to use redirector
interface to the software. It still has a couple of bugs (which I'm
sure they'll fix as soon as I tell them how to reproduce them--I've just
got to figure out how to reproduce them).

They all seem like a nice bunch of very helpful folks with a solid
technology. They have a novel approach to content filtering, which I
don't think is in use by any other company--they don't provide
'blacklists', instead they have a network of database machines which are
contacted for each site...this populates a URL cache on the local
machine, and sites that aren't in the database are processed in realtime
before approval comes down. Seems to work...though it might have
scaling issues to be worked out with very high load networks (like large
ISPs).

I don't know exactly how the pricing compares to that of other similar
companies, and I don't have a lot of experience with blocking systems
other than SquidGuard, so take my advice for what it is (someone who
only knows enough to cause trouble ;-).

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com