Re: [squid-users] simple questions

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:05:42 +0000

26-Mar-02 at 03:35, Joe Cooper (joe@swelltech.com) wrote :
> Squid does not exhibit problems with any 2.96 GCC from Red Hat I have
> used in any environment in which I have used it.

But how complete can your testing be? I was not particularly worried about
2.96 when I read that mplayer wouldn't compile on my workstation, because
I only wanted mplayer to watch movies, which is hardly a work pastime.

However, seeing database corruption in MySQL, I thought that the two
together were enough to shed doubt, especially when reports all state that
2.95 works fine.

Now let's look at this: http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html - the actual GNU
response:-

"Please note that both GCC 2.96 and 2.97 are development versions; we
do not recommend using them for production purposes. Binaries built
using any version of GCC 2.96 or 2.97 will not be portable to systems
based on one of our regular releases."

Now, who still wants to compile Squid on a production high-load cache with
2.96?

[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:56.08% see www.mersenne.org]
All this talk about everyone being connected to the Internet by the year
xxxx ignores the simple fact that a large number of people in the world
are fighting for survival.
[Arbitrary quotes signature rotation, a simple bash script by Simon White]