Re: [squid-users] simple questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:04:58 +0100

Simon White wrote:

> Be aware that RedHat uses gcc 2.96 which is buggy, as per this notice from
> MySQL:

Actually so far for Squid use the RedHat GCC 2.96 compiler has proven a
lot less buggy than the standard GCC-2.95.X series. This is except for
some early versions shipped in RedHat-7.0 that was seriously broken..
(yet another proof that one should always avoid RedHat X.0 releaes in
production environments.. probably applies to any X.0 software release)

We have at least two source files where GCC 2.95.X is known to generate
buggy code when using -O2. So frar there is no known errors when using
any reasonably current version of the RedHat GCC 2.96 compiler.. Because
of this we are forced to automatically disable -O2 when the official
GCC-2.95.X compilers are detected (done automatically by configure).

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer