Re: [squid-users] simple questions

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:27:30 +0000

25-Mar-02 at 16:58, Fran Boudraux (squidlist@hotmail.com) wrote :
> 1. Can I use 2.4.6 stable on rad hat 7.2 (tarball)?
> 2. I plan to upgrade from 2.4.1 to 2.4.6 - can I copy squid.conf from 2.4.1
> installation and then put it to the usage in 2.4.6? What is tha best way to
> upgrade to 2.4.6?

I am have successfully compiled 2.4STABLE4 on RH7.2, the newer version
should work fine also.

Be aware that RedHat uses gcc 2.96 which is buggy, as per this notice from
MySQL:

Compiler Advisory:
Several of our users have reported random crashes and table corruption
with MySQL binaries compiled with gcc 2.96 on the x86 Linux platform.
Although we were unable to duplicate the problems ourselves or understand
their exact cause, we suspect with a great degree of confidence that the
problem was compiler related. Replacing the faulty binary with our binary
always eliminated the problem.

This may be a problem with any other programs with high disk I/O, and that
means Squid.

Usually, squid.conf is reasonably backwards compatible. You should be able
to use your existing squid.conf without any problems. Try doing

diff squid.conf other.squid.conf

to see if there are major differences in the config files, and if any
syntax has changed. I think the only differences will be new parameters
you can set, and if you use your old squid.conf then any new directives
will be set to default values anyway, and the defaults are usually
sensible for most setups.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:55.96% see www.mersenne.org]
Sometimes we sit and read other people's interpretations of our lyrics and