Re: [squid-users] Problem with Netfilter

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 02:51:36 +0100

Simon White wrote:

> --enable-ipf-transparent
> Enable Transparent Proxy support for systems
> using IP-Filter network address redirection.
> --enable-linux-netfilter
> Enable Transparent Proxy support for Linux 2.4
>
> sound like they are mutually exclusive. If you use one, I don't know if
> you can use the other.

The two are mutually exclusive. Not beause of Squid but because the two
are for different OS:es.

IP-Filter do not exists for Linux-2.4 (well, not the components needed
for transparent proxying anyway).

Linux-2.4 netfilter do not exists for any OS:es except Linux-2.4, and
currently Linux-2.5 development versions. It is too early to say if the
transparent proxy support will be the same in Linux-2.6.

Linux-2.2 (and 2.0) do not require any of these options for transparent
proxying.

Regards
Henrik Nordström