Re: [squid-users] DNS processes running out

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:43:13 +0100

philip.wolfe@centrelink.gov.au wrote:

> Hi Henrik,
>
> We have greater than version 2.3, so I don't believe this is Squid's
> fault. Our BIND is old and will be upgrading soon and I strongly
> believe this is the problem. We also don't use the internal dns
> either.

If you have Squid-2.3 or later then you have compiled Squid with
--disable-internal-dns, still limiting it to the performance of the old
dnsserver approach to DNS lookups, or else you would not be getting
these messages. The messages for the internal DNS resolver (enabled by
default) is distinctively different.

The problem with the dnsserver approach is that it can at most handle 32
concurrent DNS lookups. This is not by far sufficient for a high load
proxy when there is the slightest clitch in the DNS Internet system.

The problem with the internal DNS resolver is
  a) It is still a bit young
  b) It does not use any other resolver methods than DNS. Not even
/etc/hosts (Squid-2.5 and later has /etc/hosts support).

Regards
Henrim