Re: [squid-users] Is there a way to force Encoding?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:23:10 +0100

nick wrote:

> What I mean is that if user-agent is capable of "Accept-Encoding" and
> the upstream http server doesn't use encoding, can squid be configured
> to gzip the content and send it back to user-agent with a
> "Content-Encoded" header?

No. Proxies are not allowed to mess around with content-encoding. You
can only do this in servers or gateways.

In some future version Squid may support the related HTTP/1.1
Transfer-Encoding mechanism, also capable of gzip content.. Proxies MAY
change the Transfer-Encoding of proxied content. See
http://devel.squid-cache.org/projects.html#te for the work in progress
for supporting transfer-encoding.

Regards
Henrik Nordstörm