[squid-users] Is there a way to force Encoding?

From: nick <trykde@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:17:23 -0500

I'm not sure if this feature has been implemented or not:

What I mean is that if user-agent is capable of "Accept-Encoding" and
the upstream http server doesn't use encoding, can squid be configured
to gzip the content and send it back to user-agent with a
"Content-Encoded" header? It can save quite some bandwidth as well as
some disk space, althought the latter is not our major concern. Sure
this behavior may violate HTTP spec, and consume more CPU time for the
first download, but it seems to be useful...

Also, it makes sense to distinguish between static and dynamic content.
It obviously works better with static ones.

-nick